skip navigation

Owls Put Up 70 Points to Beat Ortonville for Sixth Straight Win

By Craig Olson, 10/10/21, 4:00PM CDT


After a highly competitive first half that saw Hancock holding a slim 30-22 lead at the intermission, the Owls came alive in the second half, outscoring the Trojans 40-14 on the way to a 70-24 victory.

“Ortonville came out early offensively and were ready to play,” noted Hancock Head Coach Chad Christianson. “For most of the first half we exchanged scores. Our defense did a nice job at the end of the first half and into the second half playing disciplined and finding the ball and making plays.  We had about a 45 minute lightning delay half way through the second quarter. I was proud of the way our guys stayed focused and came back after the break. We were able to pull away in the second half and get a nice win on homecoming.”

Hancock had 556 total yards on the night with outstanding balance as they ran for 277 yards and passed for 279 yards.  The Owls registered 25 first downs in the game.  Ortonville had 342 total yards (85 passing, 257 rushing).

Davin Rose had an excellent night throwing the football as he completed 13-of-19 passes for 279 yards and five touchdowns.  Matt Thompson (4 receptions, 121 yards, 3 TD’s) and Jackson Koehl (4 receptions, 113 yards, TD) were the leading receivers for the Owls.  Chase Evink ran for 112 yards on 15 attempts and scored once.  Defensive leaders were Koehl (9 tackles, 5 assisted tackles) and Dain Schroeder (8 tackles, 11 assisted tackles).

The first score of the night came on a 17 yard pass from Rose to Luke Joos.  Following the two-point conversion pass from Rose to Koel the Owls led 8-0.  Ortonville tied the game on a 5 yard run and a successful conversion try and the first quarter ended with the game tied at 8-8.

Chase Evink scored on a one yard run early in the second quarter to give the Owls a 14-8 lead.  Ortonville took a 16-14 lead on an 8-yard run and a second successful two-point conversion try.  Thompson hauled in a 10 yard scoring toss from Rose and Koehl caught another two-point conversion pass for a 22-16 Hancock lead.  Ortonville pulled even at 22-22 on a 4 yard run, and the Owls took a 30-22 lead into halftime after a 25 yard TD pass from Rose to Koehl and a two-point conversion pass from Rose to Joos.

Matt Thompson scored on an 80 yard pass from Rose and Rose connected with Koehl for the two-point conversion to increase the Owls lead to 38-22 early in the third quarter.  Thompson then blocked a punt and returned it for a score, with Evink scoring on the two-point conversion run, giving Hancock a 46-22 advantage at the end of three quarters.

Rose hooked up with Thompson on a 25 yard TD pass early in the fourth quarter and Evink made it 54-22 with the two-point conversion run.  A 3 yard run to the end zone by Ortonville cut the lead to 54-30 following another successful two-point try.  Brayden DeSmith carried the ball in from 2 yards out and then scored the two-point conversion to up the Hancock lead to 62-30 and a six yard run by Ortonville put the score at 62-36.  The final score of the night came on a 40 yard run by Titus Bjerketvedt, who also scored the two-point conversion for a 70-36 final.

Hancock (6-0) will play at Sebeka (2-4) on Friday night.